Strawbery Banke Museum, in the heart of historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, is a 10-acre outdoor history museum dedicated to bringing 300+ years of American history to life. The museum is a place for children, adults, multi-generational families and groups to gather to explore heritage gardens, historic buildings, crafts, preservation programs, hands-on activities, stories told by costumed role-players and the changing exhibits that offer hours of fun and discovery. The museum’s restored buildings and open space invite visitors to immerse themselves in the past. The museum welcomes 110,000 visitors, members, schoolchildren and volunteers who love New Hampshire history for daily programs, exhibits, skating and signature special events throughout the year.
Please note: The museum's parking lot is reserved for HANDICAP ONLY during the evenings of Candlelight Stroll. Guests are encouraged to park in town and take the COAST'S FREE Vintage Christmas Trolley operating Dec 8, 14, 15, 21 & 22. Vintage Christmas Trolley does NOT operate on Dec 7, the night of the Illuminated Holiday Parade and Tree-lighting.
Anchoring Vintage Christmas in Portsmouth, the 40th Annual Candlelight Stroll is "A Tradition for Every Family" at Strawbery Banke Museum since 1979 and showcases 300+ years of seasonal and holiday traditions! This year's event is dedicated to Town Crier, Bill Moss who passed away in late August. Bill was the ever-cheerful presence at Stroll, making his rounds and calling “all is well” no matter the temperature or precipitation.
The museum's furnished historic houses are adorned with thousands of handmade decorations created from greens and dried flowers from the museum's six gardens. Visitors call on the many families who once lived in the "Puddle Dock" neighborhood including Mrs. Shapiro as she prepares a Hanukkah Celebration in 1919, The Goodwin family and servants as they prepare for a Victorian Christmas, as well as the Abbott's who await news of their soldier fighting in Europe in the Second World War.
While traveling from house to house, the glow of hundreds of lighted candle lanterns light the way and guests enjoy seasonal greetings from costumed role players and performers who recreate the traditions of times past. Be sure to catch Ice Dance International's Vintage Skaters as they perform at various times in the evening at Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond!
TICKET INFORMATION + PRICES:
Avoid lines by purchasing tickets in advance! Online ticket sales end 90-minutes prior to each evening of Candlelight Stroll. Tickets will be available at the door each night.
• Adults: $25.00
• Children (ages 5 - 17): $12.50
• Children (under 5): Free
• Family (covers 2 adults + 2 children ages 5 - 17): $60.00
• Active duty military & their families as well as veterans: Free at the door
• Group and corporate rates available
ADD ON FEATURES:
• Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond provides seasonal outdoor ice skating each night of Candlelight Stroll. Separate tickets for skating are available in the TYCO Visitors Center each night of the event. Skate rentals & sharpening also available.
• Figtree Kitchen Café offers seasonal food and beverages during Candlelight Stroll in the TYCO Visitors Center.
• Pickwick's at the Banke complements the museum with a shopping experience reflecting Portsmouth’s colonial maritime heritage.
• Pickwick's Mercantile & Fezziwig's Food & Fountain present a ticketed (NOT included with a Candlelight Stroll ticket), costumed holiday dining experience in Strawbery Banke's Pitt Tavern during each night of Stroll. Seating’s at 4 pm, 6 pm and 8 pm.